About Susan Gurney
Taking the first step towards change is hard and I would love to support you on you journey.
My name is Susan Gurney and I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Throughout my career, I have grown tremendously and continue to be amazed that despite all of our differences, there is a lot of common ground that is discovered when we step back, are present, and listen to other people. My experiences have been invaluable in helping me come up with new and inventive ways to build rapport and increase my understanding of my client’s point of view.
My approach to therapy is best described by Carl G. Jung who said that “We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.” I take a client centered approach with each individual while utilizing tools and approaches from other theories and creating an individualized experience with each client. Additionally, I wholeheartedly believe in the use of humor in therapy. Humor allows for a brief respite from the heavier conversations that often take place during therapy, which often gives space for clients to discover new perspectives to their current situation.
At this time I do no accept insurance, I can provide a receipt for you to submit to your insurance company.
Who would feel comfortable seeking me out? The best matches are experiencing any or all of the following:
- Late diagnosed ADHD/Autism
- Family of Origin concerns
- Have you experienced an estrangement or strained relationships within your family?
- Do you struggle to identify unhealthy traits or interactions within your family?
- Do you wonder how to have your own opinions, beliefs, or voice within your family?
- Do you often wonder who you are, how to value yourself, or how to gauge your self-worth?
- Do you find yourself struggling with fights among your friends, family, or coworkers?
- Do you find yourself wishing you had a sounding board as you plan or reflect on conversations?
- Do you struggle to set boundaries or hold them with those around you?
- Social Anxiety
- Relationship issues
- Do you struggle to process or express yourself with your family, friends, or within your relationship?
- Do you often find yourself always feeling in the wrong, always compromising, always dismissing your own needs, or failing to recognize when these things happen?
- Do you need a space to process or discuss the concept of sex and/or body positivity and how that may play out within your relationships?
- How to unmask
- Are you curious about how to work towards living an authentic life that feels like a genuine reflection of who you are?
- Goal orientation
- Do you struggle to create life or career goals and stick to them?
- Do goals that you create ultimately feel overwhelming or you just aren’t sure where to begin?
- Do you need a safe and nonjudgmental space to explore your gender or sexual identity?