About Susan Gurney

About Susan Gurney

Taking the first step towards change is hard and I would love to support you on you journey.

My name is Susan Gurney and I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. I specialize in working with teens and adults with autism spectrum disorder (formerly Asperger’s). I formerly worked at College Living Experience (CLE) working with young adults with disabilities (mostly Autism and ADHD), doing mentoring (focus on social skills), counseling and career development. I also have experience working in private practice with clients addressing anxiety, depression, emotional regulation, boundary setting, and relationships.

Throughout my time in graduate school and my work at CLE I have grown tremendously and continue to be amazed that despite all of our differences, there is a lot of common ground that is discovered when we step back, be present, and listen to other people. My experience working with young adults with learning disabilities has been invaluable in helping me come up with new and inventive ways to build rapport and increase my understanding of my client’s point of view. My work with clients has allowed me to work with a diverse population facing everyday challenges: from differentiating from your family of origin, finding your career path, learning ways to address and process emotions, communicate your needs and have successful relationships.

My approach to therapy is best described by Carl G. Jung who said that “We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.” I take a client centered approach with each individual while utilizing tools and approaches from other theories and creating an individualized experience with each client. Additionally, I wholeheartedly believe in the use of humor in therapy. Humor allows for a brief respite from the heavier conversations that often take place during therapy, which often gives space for clients to discover new perspectives to their current situation.

​At this time I do no accept insurance, I can provide a receipt for you to submit to your insurance company.